Sunday, August 23, 2009

Last day in GB!

Ok, so here's a crazy story. Last night I was up late watching a movie (Practical Magic, quite entertaining...) and I heard some noise in my parents' garage. Since they just had their garage broken into a few months ago, I thought the worst. As I was making my way to the garage door, I heard a car door slam (making me think about my equipment) and then I heard the door to the house open! Well, just as I turned the corner to greet the intruder (with no weapon or anything in my hand by the way, I guess I was just going to have to scream "boo!") I heard him/her turn on the bathroom sink, and saw that it was just my dad washing his hands.

He had been out there, and I didn't even know it. What was he doing? Cleaning and waxing my car. It looks amazing! He said he wanted to do a nice 'dad' thing for me before I took off. For those of you who know him...you're probably just nodding right now.

So, bright and early this morning, I drove my very shiny Corolla to Calvary Lutheran Church and sang a few songs during the morning services. It went really well! They have beautiful acoustics in the sanctuary, so I love singing there. Plus, my former high school music teacher is the choir director, so it's always fun to catch up with him as well as all of the other members that I've known since I was little. They took up a special offering to support Simply Smiles, and let me sell CDs afterwards. I sold a bunch! I think playing 'Trouble' during the service helped me sell a CD or two. Anyway, here I am posed in front of my beautiful car!



As some of you know, I had originally planned to be playing in Minneapolis this evening, but it turned out that even after scrambling I couldn't get anything set up. So, rather than head out to play three songs at an open mic, I took it as a sign that I should just rest for the afternoon. So, rest I did! Here I am lounging at my parents' cottage on the Green Bay...I think I fell asleep about three seconds after this photo was taken and woke up in the exact same position!



I spent the rest of the afternoon reading my book (The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult...it's a very fast read, I almost finished the entire thing today!) and of course wandered a little bit in the water.



After dinner we hung around and watched the sunset. I went out on the boat pier to take a photo, but I had to pass by this huge spider to get there! I took a photo just so you'd all know how brave I am.



And here's the sunset. Now, is there any question that I made the right decision to stay here?! I think sunsets beat open mic nights any day of the week.



Tomorrow I'm off to Des Moines. I've never been there before, so I'll try to explore a little bit and show you want I find!

No comments: