Friday, August 21, 2009

Home sweet home!

I know that I've lived in Connecticut for years, but there's something about coming back to the place where you grew up, you know? It's so easy here in Green Bay, I know where everything is, I know all of the street names - I don't even need to turn the Garmin on! (THAT has been amazing by the way...I've gotten to check out a lot of things because of this GPS, I highly recommend getting one if you travel a lot.)

Anyway, yesterday morning I left a rainy Chicago (by the way...people are terrible drivers when it's raining, but that's for another blog) and I quickly arrived at the "Welcome to Wisconsin" sign! I of course had to snap a picture of it through the window.



I arrived in Madison at lunch time, so I found a wifi coffee house to eat some food and get some e-mails done before walking around Madison. (By the way, thanks everyone for the e-mails, the facebook messages, I really appreciate all of the support and well-wishes!) Madison is a really cool town, especially right now. A lot of kids were starting to come back into town getting ready for school - I saw a lot of very full cars and lots of boxes! One of the first places that I walked to was the capitol building. Isn't it nice?



Then I walked down State Street, which is the main shopping street...it's very fun. They have a lot of clothing boutiques, funky hippie stores, coffee shops, and even a cheese shop! I thought all of you would like to see this sign...Wisconsin people sure know their cheese, and this store will mail it to you anywhere!




After getting my fill of college-town, I needed to head back to my car and put money in the meter. On the way I saw a familiar face in a coffee shop window! My friend Al was sitting there working, so I popped in to say hello! He was there working on his thesis paper (he's getting in Phd in viruses or something, he's really smart...) basically, he's working on curing the swine flu. How great would that be! I of course told him about all of my Mexico travels, and the fact that Bryan and Simply Smiles had to cancel a bunch of volunteer groups due to the H1N1 virus, and he filled me in on everything. Basically, we know nothing yet. Great, huh? But if you need an expert opinion, I've got the guy for you to call!

Anyway, Al needed to get back to work and I wanted to go sit outside and read my magazine, so he sent me off to a cool park on the water. Check out this view! That's Madison from the other side of the lake, isn't that a good-looking town?



I hung out and read my People Magazine for a while, and after I caught myself up on John and Kate, I thought it might be time to get set up at The Brink Lounge. I met a friend at the park who really wanted to come with me to the show, but they have a pretty strict "no duck" rule at The Brink. Maybe next time.



The show at The Brink was really fun. I got to see some friends from college and even a friend from high school! It was great to catch up and find out how people have been since my tour last year. Two of my FAVORITE fans of all time were there as well. Henry and Bryn are two of the cutest little people, don't you think? They helped me load up my gear when I was done at the end of the night. According to Henry, it was really cool to help me, so I'm thinking about hiring him for the rest of the tour!



After I was done with the show and catching up with people, I made the trip up to Green Bay so that I could sleep in this morning. It was great. :) I went out to lunch with my parents, and in a few minutes I'm going to get home to practice for my show tonight at The Cup O' Joy. This is a great listening room, and the BEST music venue in Green Bay. If you're in town I hope you can make it!

No comments: